Caroline's corset blog

 RSS Feed

  1. I create one pattern per month and often there isn't time to complete a sample properly so I often leave them unfinished with the idea that I 'might' finish them at a later date. It never happens of course...I will finish them just sufficiently to take an OK picture of them. This month though I am so super proud of my design that I wanted to make something beautilful, so I finished it (see pics below).

    I had thought that introducing a pattern with so many cup sizes would be popular, how wrong I was! Nobody is buying, and it's taken me months to design and perfect which I'm really sad about. It's a tough business this one!

    If you are interested in this one it can be purchased here;

    or it is avilable for patrons on Patreon until the end of September 19 for just $5 (if you become a member).


    20190905_083052 1


  2. In my quest to increase the size variables in cupped corsetry I have been wanting to first get a bra pattern out. I took a course in bra making a few years ago and have made 4 or 5 of my own bras but I had always used a commerical pattern. And guess what, they were never comfortable!

    So I have spent the last two months or so teaching myself how to grade bra patterns using Beverly Johnson and Shin's text books, and Youtube. The complicated radial grading didn't appeal so I decided to make every size individually. I've managed 50 sizes so far and there is probably another 50 to go!




    I want makers who use my pattern to think about the size and shape of the breast and use the direct measurements of the cup (bottom cup depth and cross cup depth) against the frame (wire cradle)/ band to result in a perfect fitting bra. 

    The pattern I made for myself does not actually team the 'appropriate' cups with the 'appropriate' band as I realised when drafting that I had probably been wearing the wrong wire all these years (but the cups were always too large with a larger wire). The result was that I teamed smaller cups with the larger wire (frame/cradle) and adjusted the top cup so that it was flush with the top of the frame. I have included an instruction sheet in the pattern that shows how this is done. The result was a perfect fitting bra!


    I'm now going to take the cradle (frame) that I've developed for these 50 sizes and insert them into a corset body. I'll keep the straps I think for this next cupped design - i t means some of the larger sizes will then be fully supported.



  3. I'm coming to the end of my Level 2 Fashion and Pattern Cutting course at the WMC and was lucky to be given the opportunity to photograph some of my garments in the studio last week. I managed to get a model (Lina Piprek) and a MUA (Nicole Bailey-Barker) at the last minute to shoot three looks that I've been madly working on these past few weeks.

    The theme we have been working to is London Mechanic and I have been reserching all things man-made above and below the river Thames - my title being 'The River Thames - Man Made River'.

    As a corset designer I am all about geometry and shape so it is this aspect that interested me the most with this project. I wanted to emulate the bold shape of the flood barrier domes in my corset (which was also quilted to mimic the steel cladding), and the swirling crescent shapes of the tunnel supporting structure that disappear into the distance getting progressively smaller with perspective. Colours used were silver for the barrier and gold/browns for the tunnel.

    Below are a few of the pics with the inspirational photo;

    1. The Thames flood barrier

    close up


    floating on air

    back close



    back slate

    2. The first Thames tunnel 



    DSC_0006 1

    DSC_0068 2

    DSC_0013 2

    The garments based on the crescent shaping have formed the basis of a mini collection - an under-bust corset will complete the look;

    all options

    Thanks to Darren Corbin for the photography